Burning any fuel – oil, natural gas, kerosene or wood – releases carbon monoxide and particles into the air. Without proper ventilation, these particles can build up in your home, posing a threat to you and your loved ones.
A Few Simple Suggestions
- Follow the manufacturer’s directions on gas or kerosene space heaters, making sure to use the correct fuel. A persistent yellow-tipped flame can be a warning sign that the heater is not adjusted properly and is emitting excess pollutants.
- Install and use exhaust fans over gas cooking stoves and ranges and keep the burners properly adjusted. Again, a persistent yellow tipped flame indicates that the burner is giving off excess emissions. Ask your gas company to adjust the burner so that the flame tip is blue.
- If you purchase a new gas stove or range, consider buying one with pilotless ignition, meaning it does not have a pilot light that burns continuously.
- Have central air handling systems, including furnaces, flues, and chimneys, inspected annually and promptly repair cracks or damaged parts.