America must pursue smart energy policy in order to continue as a global energy superpower. The U.S. Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) is estimated to contain vast undiscovered oil and natural gas resources.不幸的是，联邦政府将大部分OCS置于能源勘探和发展中。
- The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM)estimates that 89.9 billion barrels of oil and 327.5 trillion cubic feet of gas have yet to be discovered on the U.S. OCS.
- Unfortunately, some of BOEM’s estimates are 30 years old, and BOEM unexplicably denied permits to use of state-of-the-art seismic surveying technology in largely unexplored areas of the Atlantic OCS.
- Studies by Quest Offshore Resources, Inc. show that offshore oil and natural gas leasing in the Atlantic OCS, Pacific OCS and Eastern Gulf of Mexico could, by 2035:
- 创造几乎840,000 American jobs
- 筹集比$200 billionin revenue for the government
- 增加美国能源生产3.5万barrels of oil equivalent per day
Even more jobs, energy and government revenue coud be generated through greater development of oil and natural gas offshore Alaska, but president Obama placed much of the Alaska OCS under presidential moratorium before he left office.